I had the pleasure yesterday of listening to Dr. Dustin Louie speak about decolonising and indigenising education during a curriculum implementation day with School District no. 57. Much of what Dr. Louie said, in his keynote address and in his workshop, echoed the First Peoples Principles of Learning. He emphasised introducing indigenous pedagogy by focusing on process rather than content, much in the way that the First Peoples Principles of Learning talk about ways of learning rather than privileging specific content or information. Dr. Louie’s collaborative, strengths-based, humble approach to teaching reconciliation (rather than the adversarial approach he says he occasionally sees) aligns with his principles of teaching cooperatively and kindly, and modelling indigenous ways of knowing and being. I loved his passionate calls to action to decolonise our classrooms, indigenise them by incorporating indigenous pedagogies, and challenge and dismantle the neutrality of Western knowledge. He encouraged me to explore multiple and diverse indigenous pedagogies in my classroom alongside my students, as a learner. One intriguing example was the way he negotiates grades with his students, allowing them to assess themselves and participate in the determination process alongside him. This empowers learners and positions them as collaborators in the learning process, rather than just as passive recipients. Much of the new BC curriculum supports Dr. Louie’s approach. By helping to break down some of our core educational assumptions–that Western ways of knowing, learning, and thinking are neutral and should be the default way to teach our students–we not only begin the decolonisation process, but we also learn to prioritise the diverse ways in which our learners engage with learning. We become better teachers when we are more open to different ways of doing and thinking, as we better understand and teach the diverse learners in our classrooms.  I want to incorporate many of Dr. Louie’s practical ideas into my classroom and use all of the ideological theories to influence how I approach and understand my students.